Have you experienced the sensation of popping your ears? When your ears feel pressure and pop, there is a sweet relief that many people want. We’ve heard it all, from “chew gum on an airplane” to “yawn a lot,” but what methods work when it comes to popping your ears? If your ears are feeling clogged, here is a simple guide on how to pop your ears.
Why Are My Ears Experiencing Pressure Pain?
Ears regulate pressure through the Eustachian tubes. When ears function correctly, they can modify, equalize, and regulate the pressure on the interior ears. If the Eustachian tubes are having difficulty adjusting, it is essential to schedule a hearing consultation to have a hearing test. Common signs of Eustachian dysfunction include;
- Feeling of fullness
- Difficulty hearing
What Causes Crackling in the Ears?
Earwax can lead to crackling in the ears; however, Eustachian tube dysfunction is one of the most common reasons for crackling sounds. Some patients describe crackling noise in the ear sounding like someone walking on fall leaves, or Rice Krispy treats crunching noise. Obstructions in the Eustachian tubes cause the crackling sound. Congestion can lead to Eustachian tube failure and needs proper regulation.
How to Pop the Ears
A hearing test is the best way to determine the root cause of cracking ears. El Dorado Hearing can provide treatment methods for ear crackling. To treat Eustachian tube dysfunction, including;
- Valsalva maneuver. Hold your nose closed and blow ear to “pop” the tubes
- Decongestants, antihistamines, and steroid nasal spray can reduce swelling in the Eustachian tubes
- Use a Eustachian tube exerciser
- Place a warm washcloth or heating pad on the ear for a few minutes
- Try yawning and often swallowing to help the tubes drain
- Toynbee maneuver. This process involves closing your mouth, pinching your nose, and swallowing
- Frenzel maneuver. Pinch your nose, close your mouth, and make “k” sounds with your tongue
Through a combination of natural treatments and exercises, we can teach patients to understand how to pop their ears and finally be free of pressure and pain! Contact El Dorado Hearing to find which treatment is best for your hearing problems.